We did an assessment in the style of a Game Jam (but as individuals) in silence these past 2 weeks to test our ability to put together a top down game.
The aim of the game is to get your character from the start to the goal without being shot by enemies who face you and shoot, before the time runs out.
In the game we had to include a player, 3 moving enemies, obstacles, walls, a goal and a timer. Each of these has their own necessary programs you need to apply to make it them work.
- The player must move with arrow keys, and collide with everything on the map.
- The enemies must have Waypoint movements, and the ability to autofire bullet projectiles at the player, whilst using a line of sight to track the player when they’re within their view.
- Obstacles must have colliders attached to top the player moving through them, just like the walls.
- The goal must be a trigger which would send the player to the next level
- Finally the timer must count down in seconds visibly, and when it hits 0 the level restarts.
I had my notes to help and it went really smoothly. The main problems I had weren’t with errors in the code at all, but with accidentally putting the codes on the wrong assets, such as when I grouped my enemies and applied my line of sight code to all 3 and the empty game object they were children to- I kept getting the error saying I hadn’t defined my target in the inspector on one of the objects my script was applied to, and figured out it was on an extra object by accident. Working out the kinks with Unity whilst making this has helped me understand the correlation between script and game due to the engine way more.
I also used 2 scenes in my game; Level1 and Level2 (which was a home screen you reach when you complete level1 to return to the start). I added these to the build and put the ‘button‘ script on a button in Level2 to load Level1.
In the end my game worked perfectly and looked how I wanted it to. I spent a while putting the walls in the perfect position and scaling everything how I liked it at first, then began to code. I commented on my code too to explain what each section did before handing my account back over to Ant. I am happy with how it turned out and I’m proud that I can put a game together as it’s something I didn’t know before this course.